An eight-year-old boy, who has been missing since September 8 from Chintalagraharam village in Pendurthi, could have been kidnapped, say police officials.
K. Damodar went to a Ganesh pandal near his house at 8.30 p.m. on September 8 and had not returned since then.
His father K. Srinivasa Rao, who runs a petty business, approached the Pendurthi police on Thursday morning after he reportedly received a call from an unknown person demanding Rs. 30 lakh as ransom for the release of his son at 4.30 p.m. on Wednesday.
Assistant Commissioner of Police (North sub-division) C.M. Naidu said the call was traced to a coin booth in the Pendurthi area.
“It looks like the call was made by some miscreants. But we are not ruling out the kidnap angle. The demand for Rs. 30 lakh looks a bit vague, as the boy hails for a lower middle-class family,” he told The Hindu .
A senior officer from the Pendurthi police station said that a case of “boy missing” was booked.
“But, we are investigating all probable angles, including kidnap for ransom,” he added.
Man receives call demanding Rs. 30 lakh ransom for son’s release